Rent Arrears Advice
Black Country Housing Group operates a firm, but fair Rent Arrears Policy, which offers early advice and assistance to those who fall into arrears. The principles of the Policy are:
- Rent is payable weekly by a variety of methods. We are unable to accept rent arrears and Residents are requested to comply with this.
- It is essential for anyone having difficulty paying their rent to contact their housing officer and we will offer appropriate help and advice to resolve the situation.
- Rent accounts are monitored regularly and action is taken as soon as arrears begin.
- Residents will be notified if they’re in arrears and invited to discuss any difficulties they may be experiencing in paying their rent account, with a member of staff. Every effort will be made to maximise your income through benefit information and advice.
- If arrears continue to increase, you will be visited by a member of staff, or invited to an office interview.
- We will accept the payment of arrears by instalments. Agreements to repay the arrears will be based on the circumstances of each case. If the agreement is kept, no further action will be taken.
- If an agreement cannot be made, or if arrears continue to increase, a Notice toSeek Possession will be served.
- We will take action through the Courts to take possession of a property if a tenancy frequently falls into arrears, or fails to keep to an agreement to reduce them.
- Before taking legal action, every effort will be made to ensure that the resident has;
- Been notified in writing of our intentions to take legal action.
- Received a rent account statement showing the period during which the arrears increased.
- Been contacted by a member of staff to discuss their rent account.
Ways to pay your rent and avoid losing your home
Your rent payment is a priority and you can make payments to us using anyone of the following methods:
- Direct Debit, a form can be downloaded from our website here
- Online through our website www.bchg.co.uk
- Over the phone - via Allpay's 24-hour call centre on 0844 557 8323
- allPay - email your request for an allpay swipe card firstname.lastname@example.org or call the housing team on 0121 561 1969
- By cheque - made payable to Black Country Housing Group
- By standing order - Contact the Housing Team for details
More details on how to pay your rent can be found here